Every wedding photographer has a different strategy for covering weddings.
A common phrase shooters use is “I go with the flow” and photograph the day as it unfolds.
This sounds like a good strategy, casual and easy, until you read brides’ complaints that start with ‘my photographer forgot’; ‘she didn’t even…’, and ‘he didn’t take a picture of my…’, and ‘there was not plan, so we didn’t know what to do’.
At Focus Photography, we have a different approach, one that’s a little more systematic, and it allows you to have a relaxed day, while knowing you’ll get everything you want photographed.
After covering hundreds of weddings, Lucia and I have found we can best tell the tale of an epic day by story-boarding it into six acts, each with a handful of scenes, and a different cast of characters.
These may not all happen chronologically, but by grouping what we do into a handful of sections, it’s easier to explain what we do.
We keep track of all of these time-blocks, so you don’t have to, and you’ll get the most complete photographic story possible.
And we’ll craft our photo timeline with you beforehand, so you’ll know just how your story will unfold.
WEDDING DAY SECTIONS
Before The Ceremony
The Bride's Details
With all of the time you’ll spend choosing the dress, shoes, and jewelry that you’ll wear on your wedding day, we feel it’s our responsibility to celebrate them!
- We’ll create compositions of your gown and accessories in your getting-ready suite
- You’ll get images of your bouquet when it’s at its freshest
- You’ll get still-lifes of your jewelry and action shots of your mother or maid-of-honor helping you put them on
- You’ll get a beautiful photographic record of all the decisions you made during the months of planning for your wedding
Robes & Ready
The perfect story of your wedding day begins before your dress or suit is on. We know that the girls (and guys) who are getting ready with you are your closest friends and family, and the timeframe that we call Robes & Ready is the first of your wedding day adventures.
You’ll get images with all of your bridesmaids as you share the wedding-day transformation! We’ll be there to capture gifts given on the wedding morning, final makeup touches, special toasts and stories.
Once you’ve been primped and prettified, it’s our time to photograph the star of the show.
We’ll create Fashion, Formal, Flirty, And Fun photos for you.
- You’ll get traditional portraits of you that you’re grandmother will love.
- Sexy portraits of you that your husband will love.
- Laughing images that help you remember how much fun you had on your wedding
- And artsy images that will show off your lashes, lips, jewelry veil, shoes, and anything else you spent time and money on!
A lot of the women on this page were camera-shy, but they didn’t want that to stop them from being thrilled with their images. We’ll give you easy directions to follow, and we’ll flatter your face and figure with lighting and pose direction, so the hardest part will be choosing which of the images are your favorites.
We’ll never forget that your bridesmaids are your best friends and your closest family members, and we’re going to make sure they get great images too!
- We’ll create portraits with you and each of your bridesmaids (and bridesmen if you have them) separately.
- We’ll photograph them with their date looking great for your wedding!
- You’ll get formal images of the bridal party looking perfect in every way.
- You’ll get fun images of the group that capture the joy and the happiness you’ll feel around them on your wedding day.
- You’ll get contemporary fashion images that look nothing like traditional lineup shots.
Let’s be honest – most guys aren’t shopping for a photographer who can make them look like a GQ model. Most guys just want to minimize the discomfort of being photographed, and ensure they don’t feel excessively awkward on their wedding day.
If you’re one of those guys, relax. When you work with Focus Photography, it’s going to be fine.
We’ve worked with hundreds of grooms who didn’t like being photographed, and we know how to make it easy.
We’re going to talk football and beer and which of your friends were out-of-control the night before. We’re going to show you what to do, how to stand or sit, and we’ll keep your mind from racing about the wedding. You’ll never feel soft, weak, awkward or foolish in front of your friends.
And then we’ll get you images where you WILL look like a GQ model, and your soon-to-be wife will love them and you won’t ever have to take another picture for her again. Maybe.
- You’ll get dramatically lit images (with no smiling!) where you’ll look like a badass.
- You’ll get detail images of your cufflinks, socks, pocket squares, ties, and suit, tux, or blazer.
- You’ll get images taken in motion, so you’re not standing like a statue the whole time.
- Your fiance will get images of you that she (or he) will treasure forever.
The Groom's Men
When a groom selects the men he wants to stand with at his wedding, he’s choosing his brothers. They might be brothers by blood, or by shared experience, but they’re the guys he’d go to war with (sometimes literally), the men he’d fight for, and often the only people he’ll share a secret with.
Guys, we know these are not people you want to feel foolish around, or almost as bad, friends you want made too uncomfortable at your wedding.
We’re going to have fun with the friends and family you’ve assembled to be your groomsmen, but we’re also going to treat them with the respect your men deserve.
- You’ll get images that portray how your men will always have your back.
- You’ll get portraits of you with each groomsmen separately, and they’ll get photographed with their date.
- You’ll get formal images of all of the guys, as well as more contemporary images of your crew looking solid.
The Wedding Ceremony
Lucia and I got married in St. Leonard’s Church in Boston’s North End ourselves, and we know how important the marriage covenant is at your church.
During your ceremony, we will not stand in your guests’ way, we will not sneak up onto the altar, and we won’t be disruptive in any way. Your church will have rules for photographers, and we will follow them very respectfully, and we’re still going to create amazing images for you. We’re going to photograph your ceremony with all the attention and care that the most life-altering, symbolism-laden hour of your life deserves!
- You’ll get images walking down the aisle arm in arm with your father/mother/together.
- You’ll get wide-angle images that capture the might and the majesty of your chapel.
- You’ll get images of the speakers and the events that will forever help you remember your ceremony.
- You’ll have images that capture your excitement as you are pronounced ‘Married’.
Outdoor ceremonies can be performed by a Rabbi, a Priest, or a Minister, but they can also be performed by a justice of the peace, a judge, an officiant, or the bride’s father (if he gets a couple credentials). As a result they can be either religious or secular, but they’re always a beautiful moment we get to witness.
- You’ll get wide-angle scene-setting images that showcase the beauty of the ceremony site.
- You’ll get images of you walking down the aisle arm in arm with your father/mother/both.
- You’ll get images of each of the ceremony moments, whether there’s a sand ceremony, candles, glass breaking, etc.
- You’ll get images of your friends and family as they enjoy the reading of your vows, and the commitments you’ll make to one another.
- You’ll get emotional images of both you and your fiance as the rings are exchanged, and vows spoken.
- And you’ll get images of the moment you turn as a married couple towards everyone you know and love, and they erupt with applause.
When we say “formal portraits” people often run for the exits. We simply mean the images that everyone expects a wedding photographer to take. Side-by-side couples, level horizons, both bride and groom visible to the viewer. Traditional wedding pictures.
- You’ll get full-length images that show your dress and train.
- You’ll get half-torso images that let your expressions be more visible.
- You’ll get images where you’re camera-aware (looking back towards the viewer) as well as images where you’re lost in each others’ eyes.
- Time-permitting, we’ll do these standing; seated; and even on the ground.
Our non-formal portraits are some of our couples’ favorite images.
Here are the five things that will make an image an unconventional portrait, and any one of them will do it:
Unusual posing (usually subjects on different planes or levels);
- Cropping part of the bride or groom’s head out;
- At least one person turned backwards;
- Intentionally tilted horizons (in film and cinema that’s called going Deutsche);
- Objects obscuring the image (like a veil).
All of these things are done for a purpose, and the unconventional couple’s portraits are often our favorites from a wedding.
When you work with Focus Photography, you’ll get images that focus on the romance and connection of a wedding day. You’ll get contemporary images not bound by traditional rules. And you’ll get portraits that have more of a magazine editorial feel.
Close-Ups often only show part of the bride and groom’s heads, but often show all of their connection to each other. They can be both romantic and modern, and are also great for people less thrilled with their body’s shape.
- You’ll get images that capture the moment before your lips touch, and the anticipation that instant contains.
- You’ll get images that only show the connection between you and your spouse.
In a scenic or environmental portrait, you’re a little part of a bigger piece of art. These are the opposite of our close-ups, and often showcase the venue or the sky as well as the couple.
- You’ll get images from your wedding that show off the beauty of the locations you chose, and you’ll be in those images!
- Environmental portraits have more of a story-telling feeling to them.
Candid Couple's Images
Even when we’re not photographing the bride and groom, one of us is always assigned to be ready to capture the quick jokes between you, the tender moments couples have when no one is watching, and the last run through of your dance before the ballroom doors swing open and its go time.
- You’ll get images that capture the laughter and the joy between you on your wedding day!
There’s a beautiful light that shines only at dusk, and as the day slips into night, you might want to slip out of your party for a few more environmental images with your love.
These are wider shots, with you less emphasized, and the sky given more import. Images with shadows and colors that will capture a different feeling than your other couples’ portraits.
Twilight occurs just after sunset, so we’ll have to talk with your event planner/coordinator beforehand to ensure you’ll be available then.
End Of Night
Not all our clients want night portraits – a lot of times the party is just too good to leave.
But sometimes these final images are the perfect way to end your story, and are the last pictures we create before we leave your event.
Alone under the stars, perhaps with your party blazing behind you, and maybe with fireworks or sparklers to play with. If you want to close out your wedding story with a unique night shot, we’re going to make that magic for you.
- We’ll create back-lit silhouettes, either natural or with flash, that will show your outlines and proximity, but not that you’ve been dancing for three hours:)
- You’ll get scenics with the stars if they’re out, and you and your spouse alone in the moonlight.
Your Family & Friends
The Wedding Party
You’ll get images with each side of the aisle, and also images of the whole bridal party together. We’ll do line-ups, couples, vanity-fair arrangements, fun pictures, and motion images.
All your friends are dressed up, and everyone is there just for you. Let’s have some fun and create some images and memories that are priceless.
- You’ll get fun and creative images of your whole wedding party that they’ll treasure, and you’ll be glad to share!